Register for the ceremony
Registration is required to attend the December Recognition ceremony.
Summer and fall graduates will receive an email with instructions on how to log in, record their name and confirm their RSVP for the ceremony. Registration will close on Wednesday, November 15 at noon (12:00 p.m. CST).
Regalia is required to participate. The deadline to order regalia is Wednesday, November 15, 2023.
Graduates please have your receipt ready when picking up regalia.
- Pick up regalia in the Danforth University Center (DUC), room 276, December 7 and 8, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Late pick up available on Saturday, December 9, in DUC, room 276 starting at 8:00 a.m.
- Return rental regalia to the lower level of the bookstore starting Monday, December 11. All regalia should be returned no later than Friday, December 15. The bookstore is closed on Sundays.
- Graduate students: Wear your tassel on your left side while wearing your cap. Hoods should be worn into the ceremony. Check out How to Wear an Academic Hood.
- Undergraduate students: Your tassel should be worn on the right side while wearing your cap.
Report your Plans
Every year Washington University surveys all graduating students to gather information about their post-graduation plans. Please let us know what you have lined up or if you’re still figuring it out.
Join us and share the excitement on social media!
Have a photo or story that perfectly sums up your WashU experience? Want to show off your regalia and share your WashU pride on December 9? Tag us @WashUalumni and include #WashUalumni.
- 8:45 a.m. – Doors open
- 9:00 a.m. – Candidates should be checked in and assembled by this time.
- 10:00 a.m. – Procession begins
Assembly point and procession
All candidates must be in the Sumers Gym to pick up their name card and line up at the assembly point by 8:45 a.m. Please bring your student ID when checking in.
Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit, not side by side.
The procession will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Candidates please refrain from visiting family in the Field House before the ceremony begins.
The program begins with a Welcome from Chancellor Martin, followed by the Speaker’s Remarks, and the Recognition of Candidates for Degrees.
- Regalia must be worn by degree candidates at this ceremony.
- Graduate names will be announced as they cross the stage.
- A professional photographer will be available to take photos of candidates as they cross the stage.
- All candidates will recess from the Field House under the direction of the ceremony marshals.
- Candidates should arrange to meet friends and relatives outside the Athletic Complex to alleviate crowding and enable a quick exit from the ceremony.
- The ceremony typically concludes no later than 11:30 a.m.
The Office of the University Registrar will coordinate your diploma shipment once your degree is conferred. Please pay careful attention to the information below to ensure delivery of your diploma.
- Diplomas will be shipped to your Diploma Mailing Address in WebSTAC. If you do not have a Diploma Mailing Address listed, your diploma will be shipped to your Home Address listed in WebSTAC.
The university offers certified electronic diplomas to all graduates along with your paper credential. Your certified electronic diploma will be ordered on your behalf and will take approximately 1-2 weeks to arrive. Instructions on how to obtain and download your diploma will be sent to your @wustl.edu email address. Your paper diploma will arrive approximately 4-6 weeks after degree conferral and you will receive notification once your diploma has been shipped.
Any additional questions or comments should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your student ID number.