Getting ready to graduate
All Washington University students are required to file an Intent to Graduate in order to graduate or to participate in Commencement exercises. Deadlines for filing an Intent are established by the schools and posted at WebSTAC with the online Intent form.
You may also want to update your local and permanent mailing address for the mailing of your diploma while in WebSTAC.
Invitations will be emailed to all December degree candidates.
Family and guests are welcome.
Instructions on how to create your Marching Order account, confirm your RSVP for the ceremony and record your name were emailed on Monday October 28th.
Regalia should be ordered online by November 3, 2019. (Note, regalia for the May ceremony will be available at a discounted price for those candidates attending both December and May ceremonies.)
- Pick up regalia at Umrath Lounge, December 11, 12, and 13, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- There will be late pick up available on December 14, 2019 in Umrath Lounge before the 10:00 a.m. ceremony.
- Payment due at time of pick-up in Umrath Lounge and does not include tax.
Bachelor Unit-$55.00; Master Unit-$85.00; Doctoral Unit-$88.00.
- Return rental regalia to the lower level of the bookstore after your ceremony.
- Graduate students: Wear your tassel on your left side while wearing your cap. Hoods should be worn into the ceremony. Check out How to Wear an Academic Hood.
Undergraduate students: Your tassel should be worn on the right side while wearing your cap.
In addition, candidates and their families can also order graduation announcements at the bookstore.
All candidates must be in the Sumers Gym to pick up their name card and line up at the assembly point by 9:00 a.m. Please bring your student id when checking in.
Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit, not side by side.
The procession will begin promptly at 10:00 a.m.
Candidates please refrain from visiting family in the Field House before the ceremony begins.
The grand marshal will announce the names of each candidate as they walk across the stage to shake hands with Chancellor Martin.
- Regalia may be worn by degree candidates at this ceremony.
- A professional photographer will be available to take photos of candidates as they cross the stage.
- Reception immediately following the ceremony.
The ceremony will also be lived streamed from the Commencement Home Page.
- 8:30 a.m. – Doors open
- 9:00 a.m. – Candidates should be checked in and assembled by this time.
- 10:00 a.m. – Procession begins
- 11:00 a.m. – Reception
All students graduating in December are invited to return to Commencement in May. Details will be provided with your diploma.
For more information regarding May Commencement, sign up here for communication updates.
If you successfully complete all degree requirements, your degree will be officially conferred by the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees in January. Diplomas will be mailed at the end of January and may take several weeks to arrive.