The Chancellor’s Recognition Ceremony for December Degree Candidates
Saturday, December 14th, 2019
Athletic Complex, Danforth Campus
Reception Immediately Following
Tickets are not required. Seats are available first come, first served.
Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit, not side by side.
- By 9:00 a.m., all candidates must be in the Sumers Gym to pick up their name card and line up at the assembly point. Please bring your student id when checking in.
- The procession begins at 10:00 a.m. sharp.
The program begins with a “Welcome” from Chancellor Martin, followed by the Speaker’s Remarks, and the Recognition of Candidates for Degrees.
- Singing of “America the Beautiful” (candidates should remove caps).
- The grand marshal will announce the names of each candidate as they walk across the stage to shake hands with Chancellor Martin.
- All candidates will recess from the Field House under the direction of the ceremony marshals.
- Candidates should arrange to meet friends and relatives at the reception to alleviate crowding and enable a quick exit from the ceremony.
The ceremony typically concludes no later than 11:30 a.m.
Please note that individual pictures of each student will be taken as they cross the stage and will be available from professional photographers.
- Out of consideration for others, please keep the front of the stage and pathways clear during the ceremony.
Online streaming and closed captioning
The December Recognition Ceremony will also be streamed online and accessible via the Commencement homepage and will include live captions.
Parking is available in the Snow Way parking garage (98) and the Danforth University Center underground parking garage (DUC) (94). A drop off zone will be available on the surface lot east of the Athletic complex. This lot will also be reserved for those needing accessible parking. See Google Map.
#WashU19 and email updates
Help celebrate the Class of 2019 by sharing your tweets, photos, and videos using our official Commencement hashtag #WashU19
Returning for Commencement
All students graduating in December are invited to return to Commencement in May.
Sign up for Commencement communications updates for more information regarding May Commencement here.
If candidates successfully complete all degree requirements, their degree will be officially conferred by the Chancellor and the Board of Trustees in January. Diplomas will be mailed at the end of January and may take several weeks to arrive.