Friday, May 18, 2012
Recognition ceremonies and receptions precede or immediately follow the ceremony.
Please remember that tickets are not needed for Commencement in the Brookings Quadrangle. Tickets are only required should the violent weather plan be enacted.
Watch Commencement on the Web!
Friends and family can join the celebration without traveling. To obtain the best video experience as possible you must be running Adobe Flash Player. If you are having problems and need assistance, please contact us: 1-800-567-7609.
- By 8:00 a.m., all candidates must be at the assembly point designated for each school (see map).
- The procession will begin at 8:30 a.m. sharp, led by the Grand Marshal, the Chancellor, members of the administration, the Board of Trustees, honorary degree recipients, faculty, and alumni from the Class of 1962.
Order of march
- The student divisions will follow the procession leaders according to the order shown on the Procession Order and Assembly Points chart.
- Candidates should march in front of or behind the person with whom they wish to sit – not side by side (see seating chart).
Cap and gown etiquette
- Candidates receiving an undergraduate degree should wear tassels on the right prior and during the ceremony, and move their tassel from the right to the left after the Chancellor confers their degree.
- Candidates receiving graduate degrees should wear tassels on the left for the entire ceremony and carry the hood over their arm prior to the conferral of degrees, then hood one another when asked to do so by their dean.
- Caps are removed for the singing of "America the Beautiful."
- The program begins with the commencement address, followed by the presentation and conferral of degrees.
- Singing of Washington University's Alma Mater.
The academic recession
- All graduates will recess from the quadrangle under the direction of the Commencement Marshals.
- Graduates should arrange to meet friends and relatives at the special recognition ceremony locations or at a point not immediately adjacent to the quadrangle to alleviate crowding and enable a quick exit from the ceremony.
Distribution of diplomas
- Diplomas will be distributed at Individual Recognition Ceremonies.
- If a graduate is unable to attend Commencement, their diploma will be held for pickup until June 1, 2012, at:
Office of Student Records
Olin Women's Building
Room 50, lower level
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. - 5:00p.m.
- Diplomas not picked up by June 1, 2012, will be mailed to the address listed on the student's intent to graduate form.
- Out of consideration for others, parents and guests may not come to the front of the stage or stand on the ramps leading to the stage for pictures during the ceremony.
- The Northeast corner of the quadrangle features a roped-off area designated for photography. Parents and guests are encouraged to enter this area, take a picture, and return to their seats as quickly as possible so that others may have the same opportunity.
- Please note that individual pictures of each student at each of the school recognition ceremonies will be available from professional photographers.
Visitors who wish to remain indoors during Commencement can find closed circuit viewing at the following locations located near Brookings Quadrangle:
- January Hall, Room 110
- Brown Hall, Room 100 (wheelchair accessible)
- Brown Hall, Room 118
For more information about building location, please consult the Danforth Campus map.
Commencement water bottle notice
In observance of the Washington University commitment to decreasing the amount of bottled water on campus, we will not be placing bottles of water on chairs for Commencement. We will have limited amounts of bottled water available for our guests from around the world who may not be aware of our commitment to decreasing bottled water usage. Please consider bringing your own bottle of water if you feel you need it.